After Applying for the FAFSA or California Dream Act

After Applying for the FAFSA or California Dream Act

  1. You must check your email regularly (every two to three days) for emails which are time sensitive and complete any follow up as requested.
  2. Once you have completed the application, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) within three weeks. This will provide a summary of the information you submitted, so it is important to check to make sure it is correct.
  3. If you are accepted to a school you listed on your application, you will receive an award offer, letting you know how much aid you are eligible for from that school.
  4. Create a California Student WebGrant Account after two weeks of applying with the FAFSA or California Dream Act.



Types of Student Aid Overview

Federal Student Aid

Federal Student Aid is responsible for managing the student financial assistance programs authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965. These programs provide grants, loans, and work-study funds to students attending college or career school. The Office of Federal Student Aid provides more than $150 billion in financial assistance to students in the United States each year.

Federal student aid includes:

  • Pell Grants-financial aid that doesn’t have to be repaid (unless, for example, you withdraw from school and owe a refund) The maximum amount for the 2017-2018 year is $ 5, 815.
  • Loans-borrowed money for college or career school; you must repay your loans, with interest (unsubsidized) or without interest (subsidized-for low income students)
  • Work-Study-a work program through which you earn money to help you pay for school. Work study can also help with loans

For more information about Federal Student Aid, please visit


California Student Aid is the Cal Grant Program:

A Cal Grant is money for college you don’t have to pay back. To qualify, you must meet the eligibility and financial requirements as well as any minimum GPA requirements. Cal Grants can be used at any University of California, California State University or California Community College, as well as qualifying independent and career colleges or technical schools in California.

There are three kinds of Cal Grants-A, B and C-but you don’t have to figure out which one to apply for; the California Student Aid Commission will do this for you. Your eligibility will be based on your FAFSA or California Dream Act responses, your verified Cal Grant GPA, the type of California colleges you list on your FAFSA or California Dream Act and whether you’re a recent high school graduate. To learn more about the qualifications, go to

Cal Grant A

  • will help pay for tuition and fees at four-year colleges
  • award amounts vary by type of college-for 2016-2017, Cal Grants are up to $12,294 at a University of California campus, up to $5,472 at a California State University campus, and up to $9,084 at independent colleges
  • has a GPA requirement. If you’re applying using your high school GPA, you must have at least a 3.0 GPA; if applying using your college GPA, you must have at least a 2.4 GPA
  • requires that your course of study leads directly to an associate or bachelor’s degree, or qualifies you for transfer from a community college to a bachelor’s degree program

Cal Grant B

  • provides a living allowance of up to $1,670, in addition to tuition and fee assistance after the first year, at a two- or four-year college
  • pays most first-year students a living allowance only, which may be used to pay living expenses, books, supplies and transportation, as well as tuition and fees
  • when renewed or awarded beyond your first year, you’ll receive the living allowance as well as a tuition and fee award (up to $12,294 at a UC campus, up to $5,472 at a CSU campus and up to $9,084 at independent colleges for 2016-2017)
  • requires at least a 2.0 GPA

Cal Grant C

  • assists with the costs of a technical or career education
  • provides up to $547 for books, tools and equipment-and up to $2,462 more for tuition and fees if you’ll be attending a school other than a California Community College (community colleges don’t charge tuition and your fees will be waived as a Cal Grant recipient)
  • is available for up to two years

If you qualify, you’ll receive an email or letter notification to complete the online Cal Grant C Supplement in Web Grants for Students by the deadline. Even though a GPA is not required to apply for a Cal Grant C, you’re still encouraged to submit yours because it can only help your chances of receiving an award.