Work Permit Form

Permit to employ and work

Statement of intent to employ a minor and request for a work permit – certificate of age


Students who attend Sweetwater Union High School District are required to obtain a work permit if they are under 18 years old, and have secured paid employment. The work permit is required by CA Education Code and is enforced by the CA State Labor Department.  Sweetwater Union High School District students must meet and maintain 2.0 G.P.A. (grade point average) and attend school regularly and on time to obtain and keep a work permit.

Students who have graduated from high school are not required to have a work permit.

Work permits will be processed at the school site where the SUHSD student is enrolled and attends.  Charter and private school students may obtain a work permit from their school where they are enrolled and attend.

Process for SUHSD students to obtain a Work Permit

  1. Download the SUHSD Form No. B1-1(intent to employ form) located at the bottom of the SUHSD website home page.
  2. Complete the SUHSD Form No. B1-1. Make sure it has BOTH employer AND parent signatures and information, and your social security number.
  3. Bring complete SUHSD Form No. B1-1 to the main office
  4. Work Permit designee will review the SUHSD Form No. B1-1as well as your attendance and academic records
  5. Your Work Permit will be available for pick up once information is verify and if you meet district attendance and academic requirements.
  6. SIGN and DATE it, and take it to your employer.

The employer MUST keep your work permit at the work site.

Work permits must be renewed each year at the start of school, or if employment changes.

SUHSD Regular Permit: Maximum hours are minors allowed to work when school is in session
All work hours must be outside of school
 Age 14-15 ( 18 hrs/week max)3 hrs/daily max 7 AM – 7 PM3 hrs/daily max 7AM – 7 PM8 hrs/daily max 7 AM – 7 PM8 hrs/daily max 7 AM – 7 PM
 Age 16-17  (36 hrs/week max)4 hrs/daily max 5 AM – 10 PM8 hrs/daily max 5 AM – 12:30 AM8 hrs/daily max 5 AM – 12:30 AM8 hrs/daily max 5 AM – 10 PM
Restricted Work Permits Limit Works Days to Friday, Saturday, Sunday (with hours listed above)

(AGE 14-15, 18 hours/week max)
(AGE 16-17, 24 hours/week max)

 Maximum Hours Minors Allowed to Work Vacation/Holiday Periods
AGE 14-15  (36 hrs/week max.)8 hrs/daily max 7 AM – 7 PM
AGE 16-17  (36 hrs/week max.)8 hrs/daily max 5 AM – 12:30 AM

Frequently Asked Questions About Student Work Permits


Do I need a work permit?

Yes.  If you are under 18 years of age and have not graduated from high school, you must have a work permit.

How do I know if I am eligible for a work permit?

Minor student must be enrolled in school and meet attendance and academic standards.  The school district may deny, restrict, or cancel a work permit.

Do I need a job first?

Yes.  When offered the job, then have the employer complete Section 2 of SUHSD Form No. B1-1.  Parent or guardian also signs, then take to your school to get your actual work permit.

When can I start my job?

You may begin work as soon as your official Work Permit (SUHSD Form No. B1-1) has been presented to your employer.

How many hours may I work on school days?

This depends on your age and the type of work permit you have been issued.  See above.

Do I need a Social Security Number (SSN)?

Yes. Before a minor can be employed s/he must have a SSN which must be printed on both forms SUHSD Form No. B1-1 and form No. B1-4.

How long is the Work Permit valid?

All student work permits expire when school starts each fall semester. Students must renew their work permits as soon as school starts.  The work permit is good until the following fall semester for that job ONLY. If you get a different job or start to work for the same company but at a different location, you MUST get a new work permit.

For more information on minors and employment, use the following link: